Monday, September 1, 2008

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

In the movie, Jaws, the police chief, played by Roy Sheider, is throwing chum out the back of the boat, into the water. His attention is on a conversation with the other two crew members, the captain and the researcher, Hooper. As he turns back to look out towards the ocean, the shark, following the boat unseen, surges forward and up, an enormous set of teeth filling the screen. The police chief staggers backwards stunned and, turning to the captain, says "we're gonna need a bigger boat".

I had lofty intentions at the start of this blog. I wanted to track the intersection of technology and society, cook it up a bit, throw in a few spiritual biscuits, and call it a meal. Doesn't seem to be working. I feel like I'm getting overly self absorbed. I'd like to get away from that, or at least justify it, and yet still find a way to concentrate on the things that I find interesting. It's a struggle. What I need is a bigger boat.

So moving forward I'm going to write more about trying to bring yoga further into my life. This is what interests me. On the topic of technology, there's plenty of cool stuff out there but much it has no heart. It's a fun game and lord knows I like building stuff as much as the next cat but often in the past I've completed a complex software system and spent weeks wondering why I felt like I just wasted my time. Sure, it paid the bills and it's making some company a lot of money but for me it was six months or a year of my life with not a lot of pleasure and really not a lot for me to remember and savor.

I want to enjoy what I'm doing here. More importantly, I'd like to get more enjoyment out of this life - for that I feel I need something like yoga. I'm slowly putting myself back together, piece by piece. The parts don't all fit and I'm throwing away what I don't need. It's a painful process. I'm only now learning how to trust people. I have much gratitude for the community of friends I have discovered through yoga and the few that have put up with me over the years. I have a great love for them, something I could never say before.

An integral part of the redesign and rehabilitation of my life is starting my own company. My second attempt at this. The embers from the first company are completely cool now and I'd like to take what I've learned from that and the insights I'm gaining through yoga and see if I can't get it right this time. So as a blog, we're switching directions here. I'm taking yoga into the corporate and entrepreneurial world and I'm going to see how it fares. More importantly, and maybe more interestingly, I'm going to see what it's like to build a company using the tenets of yoga and other spiritual practices. I'm going to be a chronicler of this. This blog, a record of the journey.

It's a bigger boat but one that I can steer, and I know these seas a bit. It should be fun heading out into deep waters.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics